Cheapest Calling card to India
My parents and relatives are in India and hence I have to call India
frequently.Over the past 8 years that I have been in US I have had
varied experiences with different calling cards/services etc.Im
constantly on the look out for reducing my costs to calling India
obviously without compromising on call quality.Im planning to keep this
page up-to-date on which calling cards which Im using so that someone
can benefit from my experiences.Some of my criteria for selecting a
calling card is
- No swiching of Long distance needed.
- 1 minute rounding.
- No maintenance fees .
- No taxes.
- No monthly fees.
- No fraudulent minutes.
- No Connection fees.
- No Disconnect fees.
- No Customer Service access fee.
- Crystal Clear call quality.
- Should be able to dial in one shot everytime.
- Same rate round the clock.
- Few phone number needs to be automatically authenticated so that I dont have to remember the pins.
Calling Cards(Ranked based on my experience)
- 9.9c/min to India(8.9c if you have auto top-up)
- Local access number needs to dialed else charges are higher.That
means charges are higher if you need to dial a toll-free number.In my
case it is not an issue as they have a local 408 number
- Good call quality.Have been using it since Oct, 1st 2006 to date
Why Not VOIP on both ends to get Free calls
- This is the king of calling cards to India.
- They charge 12.9c/min
- Very good call quality and I have been using it since 2004 or
2005, but now with G3telecom this becomes a backup .I dont even
remember as I started using their service since Inception.
You might ask that I already have a VOIP setup in US then how come Im not using it to call India free.Well there are a couple of reasons
For 30 US Dollars you can sponsor a free eye surgery in India.Help Eardicate Curable Blindness and gift sight.
- My parents are alone in India and they do not know how to access a computer
- Free calls are really not free if you don't have broadband in
India.If you are going to get broadband for your house in India then it
might not be worth the hassles.
- Outside of having broadband on both ends I have not found any
VOIP provider providing calls to India for less then 9.9c/min.I mean
that none of the VOIP Provider i have researched provides a cheaper per
minute plan to India with just VOIP in US and normal phone(PSTN) in
This site is optimized for open-source/standards compliant browsers like Mozilla.org or Konqueror only.This site may not work with non-standards/proprietary browsers like Internet Explorer.
Disclaimer All the opinions expressed on this site are my personal opinions and not of my employer.
Please use this site responsibly and at your own risk.I do not guarantee or take responsiblity for any data and its accuracy.